Is it now a good time to buy property?

10 May 2021
| By Oksana Patron |
image
image
expand image

Consumers’ sentiment toward buying a property now has declined by 18%, with only two-in-three saying it is a good time to buy it now, according to Finder’s Consumer Sentiment Tracker (CST).

By comparison, as of May 2021, the index was sitting at 49% – only a few points higher than the pessimistic low of 42% in April 2020 while in December 2020, a record-high number of people (67%) said it was a good time to buy, however this figure has since dropped by 18 points. 

Graham Cooke, head of consumer research at Finder, said that as lockdowns rolled out across Australia and open house inspections declined, Finder’s Property Positivity Index nosedived to recover again as the housing market sprang back to life. 

Additionally, it was helped by the rock-bottom cash rate and ‘fear of missing out’ (FOMO) which turbo-charged prices but fears of a property bubble were making many Aussies pessimistic that now is the time to buy.

However, despite fewer people thinking now is a good time to buy, approximately 74% felt that property prices in their area would continue to rise over the next 12 months – up from a low of 24% in April 2020, according to the survey.

At the same time, Finder’s RBA panellists were divided whether prospective first-time buyers with a deposit saved may miss an affordability window if they did not purchase within the next year, with nine experts having said they would miss out (64%), while the remaining seven (36%) said they wouldn’t.

Dale Gillham, stockmarket analyst from Wealth Within said buyers would not be missing a window.

“This situation has been talked about since Adam was a boy and it will continue to be into the future. I have never seen a time when we thought property was cheap for anyone let alone first-time buyers,” he said.

Read more about:

AUTHOR

 

Recommended for you

 

MARKET INSIGHTS

sub-bg sidebar subscription

Never miss the latest news and developments in wealth management industry

Squeaky'21

My view is that after 2026 there will be quite a bit less than 10,000 'advisers' (investment advisers) and less than 100...

3 days 23 hours ago
Jason Warlond

Dugald makes a great point that not everyone's definition of green is the same and gives a good example. Funds have bee...

4 days ago
Jasmin Jakupovic

How did they get the AFSL in the first place? Given the green light by ASIC. This is terrible example of ASIC's incompet...

4 days 23 hours ago

AustralianSuper and Australian Retirement Trust have posted the financial results for the 2022–23 financial year for their combined 5.3 million members....

9 months 1 week ago

A $34 billion fund has come out on top with a 13.3 per cent return in the last 12 months, beating out mega funds like Australian Retirement Trust and Aware Super. ...

8 months 4 weeks ago

The verdict in the class action case against AMP Financial Planning has been delivered in the Federal Court by Justice Moshinsky....

9 months 1 week ago

TOP PERFORMING FUNDS

ACS FIXED INT - AUSTRALIA/GLOBAL BOND