Advisers miss opportunities by focusing on top end

12 December 2018

Financial advisers could be missing out on opportunities, with only one in six consumers obtaining their wealth management products through a financial professional, according to Roy Morgan’s latest Single Source survey.

The results showed that only 16.8 per cent of wealth management product (like superannuation funds) holders obtained their fund from a professional advisor compared to 4.9 per cent for the bottom 20 per cent of the market and 41.9 per cent for the top 20 per cent.  

In dollar figures, consumers holding up to $125,000 in wealth management were very unlikely to use a professional adviser to purchase funds, but those that had over $300,000 had the highest use of advisors.

Related News:

The focus on the top end is to be expected though, with the top quintile accounting for nearly two thirds (63.4 per cent) of the total market value of wealth management, compared to the lowest quintile, which accounts for only 0.7 per cent of market value.

The top two quintiles combined accounted for 85.2 per cent of total funds, and yet made up only 40 per cent of consumers, with the remaining 60 per cent of consumers accounting for only 14.8 per cent of funds.

Norman Morris, industry communications director, Roy Morgan, said the research showed there was obviously a big opportunity for advisers to expand their use.

“Given the complexity of this market and rule changes, professional advice is likely to be necessary for most, particularly as balances grow,” said Morris. “Currently it appears that only when balances approach a few hundred thousand dollars or retirement approaches that advice is sought.”

Morris said advisers faced the challenge of providing advise profitability to low value customers, and getting them more involved in a topic that was probably of little interest to them.

“With the employer generally being the major channel for obtaining wealth management products, due to the dominance of superannuation, it is unlikely that they will have the resources or qualifications to provide comprehensive financial planning advice, this is the role of the professional advisor.”

Recommended for you




Unfortunately, due to the huge amount of time advisers spend having to prepare endless paperwork which is never even looked at and all the other humps we are forced to jump through, it is economically unvaible to provide Financial Advice to the people who really need it.

If everyone in their mid 20's had access to financial advice then they would almost certainly end up in a better financial situation. However. If an adviser sits down with a 25 year old who has a 20k super balance, young family and mortgage and try to prepare a full financial plan the minumum cost to the client is $5k plus an ongoing fee. This $5k doesnt even leave much for the advisers profit (after all the costs of providing advice and running an independent advice firm are counted). Mum and dad clients cannot afford this fee and will not pay it in most cases. They will be left getting advice from neighbours and family and when everything goes wrong there is noone to turn to and no avenue for compensation.

The only way to allow access to quality financial advice for mum and dad clients is to reduce the cost of providing advice. This means scrapping the mountain of compliance rubbish which is a total waste of time and benefits noone

Add new comment