Superannuation to recover but MySuper a burden

The financial services market is projected to grow to $3.76 trillion over the next 10 years, with the superannuation market expected to achieve an average growth rate of 9.1 per cent per annum to June 2022, according to the latest DEXX&R market projections report.

DEXX&R said the recovery in the retail super market since the global financial crisis had been largely led by the self-managed super fund, industry fund and employer-sponsored master trust segments, which now report higher funds under management/advice than at June 2007.

While the SMSF and industry fund segments are each expected to grow in excess of $800 billion by 2022, the slower growth of personal super will mean it will only represent 12 per cent of total superannuation assets in 10 years time compared to 16 per cent in June 2007, the report found.

Related News: Industry funds marginally outperform on unlisted assets

Boosted by a continued increase in the number of retirees over the next 10 years, the retirement incomes market is projected to grow at 10.7 per cent per annum to $323 billion, with allocation pensions representing 99 per cent of total funds under management (FUM) and the remaining 1 per cent held in annuities, DEXX&R stated.

DEXX&R said the combined effect of default employer contributions shifting into MySuper products, and the transition to fee-for-service opt-in requirements for advice provided to super members, would make 2013 an uncertain year for continued strong growth in some super sectors.




Related Content

AZ Next Gen acquires another planning practice

The Paul Barrett-led, Italian-backed AZ Next Generation Advisory group has acquired yet another financial planning business — this time Sydney-based...more

Queensland super stalwart retires

Queensland industry funds stalwart, Bob Hendricks has announced his retirement.Hendricks, a former Electrical Trades Union official, was the chairman ...more

CommInsure appoints Crapis to key executive role

CommInsure has made a key change within its executive team, with the return of experienced life industry executive, Frank Crapis who it is appointing ...more

Author

Comments

Add new comment